This international conference is organized by the Department of
History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology of the University of Thessaly.
It comes as a concluding event of the graduate seminar on "Religion and Social Change"
scheduled for the second semester of the academic year 2004-05. The purpose is to examine ways
in which ideas and images about punishments (and rewards) after death or at the end of times
interact with social organization and social behaviour in everyday life. It is hoped that
contributors will be able to bring into the discussion information from various periods
and various cultures, mainly, but not exclusively the Mediterranean.
The language of the conference will be English.
Time and place
The conference will be held on 26 and 27 June 2005,
at the Saratsi Amphitheatre, situated in the campus of the School of Humanities
of the University of Thessaly, in Volos, Greece.
- Nanno Marinatos (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Einar Thomassen (University of Bergen)
- Rika Benveniste (University of Thessaly)
- Dimitris Kyrtatas (University of Thessaly)
Department of History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology (IAKA)
School of Humanities, University of Thessaly
38221 Volos, Greece
tel (+30) 2421074841, fax (+30) 2421074781
IAKA on the web: http://www.ha.uth.gr/
You may download:
- the conference poster [.pdf, 766kB]
You may reach Volos from Athens by:
- Private car. The distance is 318km. You follow the national road towards Lamia and then towards Larissa. You leave the motorway either at Mikrothives junction or at Velestino junction.
- KTEL bus. The buses leave from the station at Liossion street. There are 11 scheduled services per day.
- OSE train. From "Stathmos Larisis", there are 2 direct services every day, plus 9 more via Larissa. We reccommend the "Intercity" trains (1 direct and 7 via Larissa). Return tickets are discounted.
- To go to the train station from Athens international airport, take the suburban train directly to "Stathmos Larisis". Alternatevely, take the metro line 3 to "Syntagma" and change to line 2 for "Stathmos Larisis".
You may reach Volos from Thessaloniki by:
- Private car. The distance is 218km. You follow the national road to Larissa and then towards Lamia. You leave the motorway at the Velestino junction.
- KTEL bus. There are 8 scheduled services per day.
- OSE train. There are 14 services daily to Larissa, from where you can catch one of the 12 local to Volos. We reccommend the "Intercity" trains (7 scheduled for Larissa daily). Return tickets are discounted.
- To go to the train station from the Thessaloniki airport take the bus no. 78 and get off at the "New Railway Station".
Participants coming from abroad, may also check if there are available charter flights to Skiathos or Anghialos that they may use. The Anghialos airfield is approximately 30km from Volos, while the island of Skiathos is about 1:45 by hydrofoil.