Travelling to Volos
The new airport at Nea Aghialos (VNA) is located approx. 20km from Volos and is easily reachable by taxi.
Air Berlin offers scheduled flights to the new airport from Vienna, Berlin, Hamburg, Dusseldorf and Nuremberg.
There are also charter flights from many European cities during the summer (e.g. Amsterdam, London),
although these may force you to stay in Volos for a week.
Otherwise, you may fly to Athens or Thessaloniki from a many European cities.
Travel from Athens to Volos
You may travel from Athens to Volos by:
- Private car The distance is 318km. You follow the national road towards
Lamia and then towards Larissa. You leave the motorway either at Mikrothives
junction or at Velestino exit.
- Bus The Public Road Transport Coaches (KTEL) operates 11 scheduled services per day.
The buses to Volos leave from Liossion Bus Terminal.
- Train The Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) runs 1 direct service from Athens to
Volos and 9 more via Larissa. We reccommend to use only Intercity trains
(1 direct and 7 via Larissa). The train leave from Stathmos Larissis.
- To get from the Athens airport to the bus station, you get on the X93 express
bus. The buses run every 30 minutes in the day and every hour in the night.
- To get from the Athens airport to the train station, you either:
get the Proastiakos train straight to Stathmos Larissis (warning: not all
Proastiakos trains go to Athens, so make sure you get on the correct one), or
get the Metro Line 3 to Syntagma, then change to Metro Line 2
and get off at Stathmos Larissis.
The service runs approx. every 30 minutes.
Travel from Thessaloniki to Volos
You may travel from Thessaloniki to Volos by:
- Private car The distance is 218km. You follow the national road towards
Larissa and then towards Lamia. You leave the motorway at Velestino exit.
- Bus The Public Road Transport Coaches (KTEL) operates 8 scheduled services per day.
The buses to Volos leave from Macedonia Bus Terminal.
- Train The Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) runs 14 services from Thessaloniki to
Larisa, from where you can catch one of the 12 local services to Volos.
We reccommend to use only Intercity trains (7 services to Larissa).
The trains leave from New Railway Station.
- To get from the Thessaloniki airport to the bus or train station,
you get on the number 78 bus. Buses run approx. every 30 minutes.