Travel from Athens to Volos
You may travel from Athens to Volos by:
- Private car The distance is 318km. You follow the national road towards Lamia and then towards Larissa. You leave the motorway either at Mikrothives junction or at Velestino junction.
- Bus The Public Road Transport Buses (KTEL) operates 12 scheduled services per day. The buses to Volos leave from Liossion Bus Terminal.
- Train The Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) runs 1 direct service from Athens to Volos and 5 more via Larissa. We strongly reccommend the usage of Intercity trains (1 direct service and 3 via Larissa). The train leave from Stathmos Larissis.
- To get from the Athens airport to the bus station, you get on the X93 express bus. The buses run every 20 minutes in the day and every 40 minutes in the night. Travel duration is approx. 50 minutes.
- To get from the Athens airport to the train station, take the underground line 3 from airport to Syntagma; change there to line 2 for Stathmos Larissis. The service to the airport runs from 06:30 to 23:30; travel duration is approx. 45 minutes. Alternatively take the Proastaikos train to Ano Liosia; change there to another train for Stathmos Larissis.
Travel from Thessaloniki to Volos
You may travel from Thessaloniki to Volos by:
- Private car The distance is 218km. You follow the national road towards Larissa and then towards Lamia. You leave the motorway at Velestino junction.
- Bus The Public Road Transport Buses (KTEL) operates 9 scheduled services per day. The buses to Volos leave from Macedonia Bus Terminal.
- Train The Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) runs 11 services from Thessaloniki to Larisa, from where you can catch one of the local services to Volos. We reccommend the usage of Intercity trains (3 services to Larissa). The trains leave from New Railway Station.
- To get from the Thessaloniki airport to the bus or train station, you get on the number 78 bus. Buses run every 20-30 minutes, around the clock.
The above information is correct on May 2010, but is subject to change without notice.
- KTEL. Bus timetables from Volos to Athens and Thessaloniki and return. Information only available in Greek.
- OSE. Train timetables. Use keywords Athina, Thessaloniki, Volos. Use keyword Airport to check Proastiakos timetables. The route planner seems to have bugs and does not show all available trains. However, it does show all express trains with waiting time at Larissa under 30 minutes.
- OASA. The schedule of Bus X93 from the Athens airport to the bus stations. Information only available in Greek.