There are no flights to Volos during the winter. Visitors can fly to Athens or Thessaloniki from a many European cities.
Travel from Athens to Volos
You may travel from Athens to Volos by:
- Private car The distance is 318km. You follow the national road towards Lamia and then towards Larissa. You leave the motorway either at Mikrothives junction or at Velestino junction.
- Bus The Public Road Transport Coaches (KTEL) operates 11 scheduled services per day. The buses to Volos leave from Liossion Bus Terminal.
- Train The Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) runs 1 direct service from Athens to Volos and 9 more via Larissa. We reccommend to use only Intercity trains (1 direct and 7 via Larissa). The train leave from Stathmos Larissis.
- To get from the Athens airport to the bus station, you get on the X93 express bus. The buses run every 30 minutes in the day and every hour in the night.
- To get from the Athens airport to the train station, you either:
get the Proastiakos train straight to Stathmos Larissis (warning: not all Proastiakos trains go to Athens, so make sure you get on the correct one), or
get the Metro Line 3 to Syntagma, then change to Metro Line 2 and get off at Stathmos Larissis.
The service runs approx. every 30 minutes.
Travel from Thessaloniki to Volos
You may travel from Thessaloniki to Volos by:
- Private car The distance is 218km. You follow the national road towards Larissa and then towards Lamia. You leave the motorway either at Velestino junction.
- Bus The Public Road Transport Coaches (KTEL) operates 8 scheduled services per day. The buses to Volos leave from Macedonia Bus Terminal.
- Train The Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) runs 14 services from Thessaloniki to Larisa, from where you can catch one of the 12 local services to Volos. We reccommend to use only Intercity trains (7 services to Larissa). The trains leave from New Railway Station.
- To get from the Thessaloniki airport to the bus or train station, you get on the number 78 bus. Buses run approx. every 30 minutes.
- KTEL (coach) timetable. This page is available only in Greek.
- OSE (train) online timetable. Use keywords Athina, Thessaloniki, Bolos. Also check the connections Athina - Larisa - Bolos and Thessaloniki - Larisa - Bolos.
Below you can find some Hotel suggestions. Please make sure you make your reservation as soon as possible.
|Hotel name||Contact||Price per room||Walking distance|
|Single € 46
Double € 65
|Single € 60
Double € 100
- Map of downtown Volos with the university building, hotels and stations [.jpg , 85kB]
- Road map covering the area from Athens to Volos [.jpg , 880kB]
- Road map covering the area from Thessaloniki to Volos [.jpg , 590kB]
- Map of the transportation system to and from Athens International Airport [.jpg , 1520kB]
- Map of the bus service from Thessaloniki International Airport [.jpg , 240kB]
- Road map covering the area of Pilion [.jpg , 320kB]